Computational Linguist (f/m)
Max-Planck-Institute for Empirical Aesthetics Frankfurt, Germany
1. Januar 2017
The Max-Planck-Institute for Empirical Aesthetics in Frankfurt, Germany, investigates the cognitive, affective, neuronal, and sociocultural foundations of aesthetic experience.
We are seeking applications for the position of a
Computational Linguist (m/f)
• Planning, programming and carrying out research projects in computational linguistics on poetic and rhetorical features of language and literature (in cooperation with literary scholars, linguists, neuroscientists and psychologists)
• Master’s degree, Diploma, or PhD in computational linguistics, linguistics, Digital Humanities, or a neighbouring discipline
• Expertise in natural language processing and/or text/corpus linguistics
• Excellent programming skills in a script language such as Python, Perl, or Java
• Experience using language corpora (e.g., COSMAS II, DTA,...), and advanced knowledge of XML
• Advanced command of tools for computational text analysis (Python NLTK, R)
• Preferably experience with speech or audio analysis (e.g., Praat, R package ‘seewave’)
• Interest in empirical aesthetics
• Excellent command of German and English
What we offer:
• Salary dependent on professional expertise according to German TVöD Bund
• Flexible work schedule
• Five-years contract (renewable)
We offer an attractive and friendly working environment with a first-rate infrastructure, along with interesting, varied responsibilities as part of a young and ambitious team. Your workplace will be located in Frankfurt’s Westend district.
The Max Planck Society would like to increase the proportion of women in those fields in which they are underrepresented. Women are therefore expressly encouraged to apply.
The Max Planck Society is committed to hiring more disabled persons. We encourage applications from disabled persons.
Applications including your letter of intent, CV, degree certificates, and letters of recommendation should be submitted – preferably in pdf format - no later than September 30, 2016, to
Max-Planck-Institut für empirische Ästhetik
Personalstelle, Grüneburgweg 14, 60322 Frankfurt am Main